futuro SUMMER DANCE INTENSIVE
In 2011, CONTRA-TIEMPO launched Futuro. For its first three years, Futuro existed only as an intensive two-week dance program, held in the summer for high school and college-age youth from across the country. During this Summer Dance Intensive, participants become grounded in our Urban Latin Dance Theater technique. This technique is rooted in Afro-Cuban and Puerto Rican traditional and social dance forms, as well as urban and contemporary forms, and it epitomizes art as social action, incorporating leadership development, community-building strategies, and social theater techniques such as Augusto Boal’s Theater of the Oppressed.
The intensive dance and movement workshops, discussions about socio-political history and current events, theatre play, and self-exploration exercises lead young people to come away with a greater sense of their power as dancers and as leaders. For those pre-professional dancers hoping to join CONTRA-TIEMPO or another professional company, the Summer Dance Intensive is a perfect training ground.
Futuro is grooming the futuro, or future, of CONTRA-TIEMPO, thus ensuring the artistic sustainability of our senior company (epitomized by the fact that half of our current senior company matriculated through the Futuro program). And more importantly, Futuro is grooming the leaders of the presente. The NOW.
2018 Summer Dance Intensive
Our 2018 Summer Dance Intensive (SDI) will be July 30 - August 10 at the Loyola Marymount University's Dance Program studios. Tuition is $995, and includes the $35 non-refundable application fee, all tuition expenses, and a CONTRA-TIEMPO t-shirt. A limited number of half scholarships are available to qualified students.
- May 4, 2018: Financial Aid Applications due, with $35 application fee . If you are applying to the program and need financial assistance, this is your deadline!! You will need to fill out the general application, as well as the financial aid application (both below). All financial aid is for 50% reduced tuition. (Please note: Your application will NOT be considered complete and will not be screened without payment of the application fee.)
- May 18, 2018: All Applications Due, with $35 application fee . If you are not applying for financial aid, this is your deadline. (Please note: Your application will NOT be considered complete and will not be screened without payment of the application fee.)
- June 1, 2018 - First tuition deposit due
- July 2, 2018 - All fees must be paid in full (Please Note: All fees must be paid in full in order to participate)
- Download the general Futuro Summer Dance Intensive application:
- Download the Financial Aid application (Please note: you will have to also submit the first two pages of your/your family's 2017 IRS 1040, as well as a recommendation letter.):
Snapshot of the 2016 Summer Dance Intensive
The 2016 Futuro Summer Dance Intensive was held June12-June 23 at the Loyola Marymount University Dance Program's campus. Our theme was Joy as a Form of Resistance. We explored social dances of the US and Afro-Latin Diaspora: hip-hop, samba de roda and samba reggae, LA-style Salsa, Salsa Rueda, Rumba, Comparsa, Festejo, and modern. In our Art-as-Social-Action workshops, we looked at critical race theory, intersectionality, alternate models of wealth and capital, and the power of practicing gratitude.
Our 2016 participants:
- Were 24% male | 72% female | 4% two-spirit
- Hailed from Oakland, CA, Washington, DC, North Carolina, Miami, FL, Umeå, Sweden, London, England, and Los Angeles, CA
- Had studied dance for less than a year or for more than 3 years
- Were 19% African-American| 14% mixed-ethnicity| 60% Latino| 7% other ethnicities | 66% Spanish-Speaking
- Were 100% POWERFUL :-)
Testimony from 2016 SDI participants:
Because of Futuro... I am REBORN!!...I've learned what my "powers" are...I can embrace my voice and the voice that is created through my movement...I am more of an unapologetic dancer...
I was angry a lot before realizing how powerful dance could be in the movement for change. It has been a blessing to find peace through Futuro.
Before Futuro I'd lost hope in action-oriented community-building. But I have seen what community healing is capable of.
I am now more trusting of myself, confident in who I have become as a dancer, scholar, artist, activist, and lover to all.
We are grateful for and honored to be in partnership with Loyola Marymount University's Dance Program, as the host of our 2017 Summer Dance Intensive.